Cajun Chicken with Mielies on the Braai/BigGreenEgg!
This week I've decided to go to the southern states of America for inspiration and I'm cooking Cajun Chicken with Mielies, sweet corn to all you none South Africans. This dish is quick to put together and quick to cook and the flavours are great. I have never cut up corn in this way and I must say its makes it really easy to eat, the only thing is it's so easy you tend to over do it if you’re not careful.
Well, I now know that I'm Anglicised, as all I talk about is the weather and man we've gone from ± 17c to -2c and snow in a week, what's happening. I'm still out here braaiing for you, I hope that you all appreciate it because I'm losing the will to Braai!! What I need is some braai love, please let me know if you like what I'm cooking below.
SERVES 2-3 : PREP:15 MINS : COOK TIME : 30 MINS
- 2 x Chicken drumsticks
- 2 x Chicken Thighs
- 2 x Chicken Wings
- 2 x Fresh Meilies (Sweetcorn)
- 85g butter, melted
Ingredients for the Spice mix:
- 2tsp Onion powder
- 2tsp Paprika
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1tsp Garlic powder
- 1tsp Dried Thyme
- 1tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1tsp Ground black pepper
- ½tsp Ground white pepper
- ½tsp Ground cumin
- Preheat the Braai/BigGreenEgg to 200ºF/94ºC.
- Using a sharp knife, make 2-3 diagonal slashes in the drumsticks, wings and thighs. Place them in a large dish.
- Cut the mielie cobs into thick slices and add them to the dish.
- Mix all the ingredients for the spice mix together in a small bowl.
- Brush the chicken and the cobs with the melted butter and sprinkle the spice mix over them.
- Place the chicken in the braai over the medium coals and cook for 15mins, turning them occasionally.
- Add the mielie cobs to the braai and cook for a further 10-15mins or until they begin to blacken. Make sure that you turn them continually so that they don’t burn.
- Transfer to a plate and serve immediately to the lucky people you have invited around to share you're braai.
I hope that you give this a go, it's quick and I can assure you you will add this to the regular things to Braai. Until next week enjoy and please feel free to comment below.