Blackened Chicken Caesar Salad on the Braai/BigGreenEgg
Howzit Guys and Gals,
I hope that you are ready, got your Braai's out and going for it this Easter with this light summer dish. It's just what we all need in the UK to get us in that Spring feeling as British Summer time starts on Sunday, man that's one thing I love about this country, it stays light until 10.30pm for the next three months :-)
This dish is quick easy to cook and will look great on the table, you can make it even quicker by buying the salad dressing if you wish along with the croutons. I have made the dressing in the recipe below before and its great but just takes a little bit more time. The one I'm using is the Pizza Express one which is available at most supermarkets or online. But if you’ve got the time give the recipe below a go, its just as good if not better.
SERVES 4 : PREP:15 MINS : COOK TIME : 6-8 MINS
Ingredients for the Caesar Salad:
- 3 Anchovy ﬁllets roughly chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2½ tbsp Light mayonnaise
- 1½ tsp Lemon juice
- 20g Parmesan cheese, ﬁnely grated
- 2½ tbsp cold water
Method for making the dressing:
- To make the dressing, put the anchovy ﬁllets in a pestle and mortar, add the chopped garlic clove and pound into a paste.
- Add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Parmesan and water and stir well to make a pourable dressing.
- Set aside until you are ready to serve.
- 1 x large cos or romaine lettuce , leaves separated
- 60g Parmesan cheese shavings
- 6 x Anchovy ﬁllets
- 50g Croutons home made or shop bought if you haven’t got the time.
Method for Salad:
- Wash the lettuce and drain well, leave on a piece of paper towel to dry.
- Plate up once dried and lay the anchovy fillet evenly around the dish along with the parmesan shavings.
- Sprinkle the croutons on this and set aside until the chicken is ready.
- Pour the dressing lightly over the salad just before you add the chicken.
Ingredients for the Blackened Chicken:
- 2 x Free Range Chicken Breasts
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2tbsp Natural yogurt
- 1tbsp Lemon juice
- 1tsp Paprika
- 1tsp Ground cumin
- 1tsp Mustard powder
- ½tsp Dried Thyme
- ½tsp Cayenne pepper
- ½tsp Dried oregano
- Preheat the Braai to 300°C (570°F)
- Using a sharp knife slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally and flatten with your hands.
- Place them in a shallow bowl, non metallic and then mix the yogurt and lemon juice in a small bowl with the garlic and brush over the chicken.
- Next mix the spices all together and the sprinkle them evenly over the chicken. Using the same brush blend it into the yoghurt.
- Brush this lightly with a little olive oil and place on the braai over medium to hot coals. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until it starts to blacken.
- Once cooked leave to rest for 5 minutes and the place onto the salad that you prepared earlier.
There you have it, another great quick and easy recipe to try! Please feel free to leave any comments that you would like to share with everybody. Until next week have a fantastic Easter Break. Best wishes Larry