Wild Salmon with Mango & Granadilla Salsa on the Braai/BigGreenEgg
Howzit, well the sun is trying to shine in the UK but I think I missed summer as Tuesday was almost 17c and sunshine all day and I was stuck in the office LOL. For this weeks braai I have gone to the other extreme after last weeks meat fest! I'm braaiing some Wild Salmon and to go with this I will be making a Mango & Granadilla Salsa. This is really a very quick and easy dish to do, especially after taking nearly 8hrs to cook last weeks ribs.
You can braai this two different ways, directly on the gills or on a wooden smoke board. I'm going to use the boards as this will lightly smoke the salmon as it cooks. If you cannot get fresh Mango & Granadilla you can use tinned but it will not be as great.
SERVES 4 : PREP: 15 MINS : MARINATE 10 MINS : COOK TIME : 8 MINS
- 4 x Salmon Steaks or fillets, about 175g each.
- 1 x Finely grated rind and juice of a Lime.
- Salt & Pepper to taste, I recommend you use quite a bit of salt at least 2 pinches per piece.
- 1 x Large Mango, stoned and finely diced.
- 1 x Red Onion, finely chopped.
- 2 x Granadilla (passion fruit)
- 2 x Fresh Basil sprigs.
- 2 tbsp Lime juice.
- Salt to taste.
Method how to prepare Salmon:
- Rinse the salmon under cold running water and then pat dry with kitchen paper and place in a shallow dish.
- Finely grate the rind of a lime and sprinkle over the salmon, then squeeze the juice over the salmon.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set aside to marinade while you make the salsa.
Method how to prepare Salsa:
- De-pip the mango and finely chop, place it in a mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the red onion and add to bowl.
- Cut the Granadilla in half and scoop out the pips and juice into the bowl.
- Tear the basil leaves up and add to the mixture.
- Finally, pour the lime juice over the whole lot, season with salt and pepper and mix through.
- Cover and serve once the salmon is cooked.
Method how to braai the salmon:
- Place the Oak smoke boards in some water to soak for 15mins, this will stop them from actually catching on fire, as you only want them to smoulder.
- Preheat the Braai/BigGreenEgg to 200ºF/94ºC.
- Place the board face down on the Braai for 5 mins to heat up, take out ready to place the salmon on.
- Place the salmon on the boards along with the limes that you have squeezed, this will give it a great aroma.
- Return to the braai close the lid and cook for 8 mins, for a piece of fish that is 2-3cm thick, if its thicker than this allow another 5 mins.
It's as simple as that, boil a few new potatoes and serve with the salsa, you will end up with a fantastic dish that is full of taste and freshness. Boy was it great, I hope that you are all enjoying my ventures. If so or not as the case maybe, please feel free to let me know below. Share and like to your hearts content.