Sweet Potato Crush on the Braai/BigGreenEgg
Last week I cooked a rack of spring lamb and served it with this dish and so many of you have asked how to make this. Please forgive me, I should have given you the recipe last week but just took it for granted that the meat is what you were interested in. This was a mistake as there are many of you who are interested in everything that I’ve cooked. This is such a easy recipe and it takes sweet potatoes to a new level, so give it a try, you don’t even have to use the braai if you don’t want to.
Also don’t forget that once again we will be giving away a great prize of a pack of smoking planks to one lucky reader which we used to cook this recipe, see the end of the blog for details.
SERVES 4: PREP: 10MINS: COOK TIME: 20-25MINS
Ingredients Sweet Potato Crush:
- 2 x Sweet Potatoes
- 30g x Fresh Mint
- 30g x Fresh Coriander
- 2 x Limes
- 1 x Fresh red chilli
Method how to prepare Sweet Potato Crush:
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half and place in a oven proof dish.
- Slice the limes in half and place on top of sweet potatoes.
- Finely chop the chilli, mint and coriander ready to add to the sweet potatoes once they are cooked.
Method of cooking Sweet Potato Crush:
- Preheat the Braai to 300°C (570°F).
- Cover the dish with cling film and baking foil if you are placing in the braai or just cling film if you are going to use a micro wave.
- Place the dish the braai for 20mins and close the lid.
- Or if you want, you can place the dish in a microwave for 15mins on high.
- Remove from the heat and uncover.
- You will notice that the limes have kept the sweet potatoes moist.
- Add the chopped chilli, mint and coriander and using a potato masher lightly crush the potatoes and herbs together.
- Place back in the braai for a further 5mins, if you used the microwave you can miss this step out.
I cooked this dish when I made last week’s blog and the cedar planks just gave it a slight smoke flavour and they were divine.
Don’t forget that if you would like to try to cook this for yourselves then why not leave some feedback in the comments area below and one lucky reader will win a pack of these smoking planks for themselves. Entries will close on the 22nd June 2013, please check back to see if you were the lucky winner.