Texan Steak Braaied to perfection
Well, what a week we've had in the UK, force 6-8 winds, floods, thunder and lightning how exciting! Anyway I managed to braai this week and what I decided to do was braai a massive pieces of rump steak or what some people call "Blue Bulls Steaks" depending on where you're from. Or as one of my Facebook fans suggested "Heineke Steek" LOL. However we will be selling these on our web site and call them "Texan Steaks" just to keep the peace.
It's a very simple thing to cook a great steak but its just as easy to murder a great piece of meat. If you follow the following simple instructions you shouldn't go to far wrong.
Serves 2 - Prep: 2 minutes (1hr marinating if you must) - Cook Time: 6-8 mins
- 1 x 800g Black Gold Rump Steak (300-400g per person) if you are a South African carnivore or less if your from anywhere else, lol.
- Sea Salt or a marinade of your choice if you must but these steaks just don't need anything added
- 2 x potatoes to bake on the Braai
- Salads of your choice
- Preheat the braai to about 300°C (550°F)
- Get the Braai as hot as you can
- Idealy you need a lid to cook this way as this stops the flames from rising to high and just burning the meat
- Season the meat to your choice (see image below)
- If you are using a marinade, always give it at least an hour to absorb the spices
- Make sure that the meat is rested and not to cold, don't cook straight from the fridge always let it come up to room temp
- The trick when cooking a steak is not to turn it to often, once on each side and the just a quick turn again to put those great diagonal burns in the meat.
- For a steak of this size 850g I cooked it only for 4 minutes on each side to get a medium rare steak. Add or subtract a minute on each side depending on if you want to go up or down the cooking scale. This usually works a treat for me, resulting in a steak landing on my plate just the way I want it.
- BIG TIP, always let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes after it comes off the braai so that it relaxes and reabsorbs the juices. Be patient and you will be rewarded.
Get a 800g Texan Steak for free!
To launch these steaks on our web site they will be discounted by 15% for the first two weeks that they are on sale, so make the most of this offer if you are a meat lover. Also tell me why (in the comments area below) you think you should be the first to try one of these steaks for FREE and we will send you a 800g steak to try. Sorry but this is only available to people on the UK mainland due to delivery restrictions, entries close on the 4th October 12.